Thursday, September 15, 2011

...in which we tried Kikoman Kara-Áge breading mix and ate it on the roof deck

photo source: http://www.foodbuzz.com/photos/4216151-kara-age
We received a free box of Kikoman's Kara-Áge breading mix through the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program. We were actually really excited about it because we'd been wanting to break out Jeff's deep fryer again, and this was the perfect opportunity. So I went to the store and got about 3 lbs of boneless chicken pieces.

All I did was cut up the chicken and follow the directions on the box. As a Southerner, who loves fried chicken and has tried many a time to make it well, I was so happy about how easy it was to coat the chicken thoroughly.

I fried them for about 6-7 minutes per batch, and they came out perfectly coated with a crunchy, flavorful crust. The flavors of soy sauce and ginger were good and not overpowering. I do wish we'd thought of a nice sauce to accompany the golden nuggets, but alas. Maybe next time... I would definitely buy this mix simply due to the fact that it was so easy to get that perfect crust. The nice flavor is just a plus! One thing I would do differently next time would be to use chicken breast meat instead of thigh meat. I think the others on the roof deck would agree.


No comments:

Post a Comment