Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Napoleons (Mille-Feuille)


I've always wanted to attempt it and finally, last night, I did. I made a Napoleon! For those of you who don't know, a Napoleon (or a Mille-Feuille in French) is a dessert made of 3 apricot-glazed layers of puff pastry with custard sandwiched between. On top is a white pastry fondant glaze with wavey decorative chocolate stripes. In other words...it's delicious but a bit complicated to make at home. Starting at 7pm and ending at around 10:30pm (only the French would create a dessert that uses puff pastry and then demands that you make sure it does not puff) it was a difficult but fun task. I'm glad I finally tried doing it but I think from now on, I'll buy these tasty treats from the bakery.




2 comments:

  1. Well, I, for one, hope you do make them again, 'cause they were fantastic! I totally think it was worth the 3 hours watching you make them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fantastic.
    I saw your post on Foodbuzz about Utica's Tomato pie. It is the best!

    ReplyDelete