Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Goose Island Sofie Belgian Style Ale

Going back to my parents' house in Illinois for the holidays, I am always excited to indulge in local beers I can't typically find back home in Boston. One of my favorite Chicago-based breweries, Goose Island, recently came out with a line of vintage and vintage reserve ales. Thanks to my sister's boyfriend's attempt at buying my affections with beer, I had the opportunity to try two of them, Matilda and Sofie.
While I thoroughly enjoyed both of them, Sofie came out on top. Described as a beer for champagne drinkers, which I certain am, Sofie is a "tart, dry, sparkling ale" with a "subtle, spicy white pepper note, a hint of citrus from the orange peel and a creamy vanilla finish". It was incredibly light and refreshing and had that lovely slightly musky Belgian taste about it. A little more pricey than the standard Goose Island brews, it is certainly worth the extra couple dollars. Rumor has it that Brookline's Public House Provisions had it in stock, but I fear the store has since shut down for good. Regardless, I look forward to trying to rest of the line of new ales Goose Island has to offer wherever I may come across them!

No comments:

Post a Comment