Sunday, September 7, 2008

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert

Our friend John just moved into the neighborhood so we thought it would be a perfect time to try out a new local dessert shop. We first heard about Wheeler's when we came home one day and found an advertisement hanging on our doorknob announcing their arrival to Boston.

Wheeler's is a frozen dessert shop, located on the corner of Mass Ave and Huntington Ave, that sells sorbet, ice cream and frozen desserts that are dairy-free and contain no animal products (a vegan's delight!). I was excited to hear that an ice cream store opened that was dairy-free since I know so many lactose intolerant people.

We arrived at Wheeler's about an hour before they closed. We walked in and looked around but promptly left since they are a "cash only" business. We returned shortly from the ATM with cash in hand and ready to give this "alternative ice cream" a shot.

The young lady at the counter was very friendly and helpful in explaining the different sizes Wheeler's offered (the cups may seem small but they come overflowing) and she even let me try a sampling of a flavor I had never heard of before (more on that in a few seconds). The atmosphere was a bit stark. There were cool pictures on the wall and a comfy couch to sit on but something was lacking that I can't put my finger on. Perhaps it's because they were still organizing and painting that it didn't seem quite "done-up" yet. It was pretty dark in the store too (perhaps they were "going green" and conserving electricity?) and hard to take pictures.

Bryan and Bob ordered a chocolate peanut butter ice cream. It was good. The flavor was strong and the texture was very similar to regular ice cream. John got the espresso sorbet. I tried some. While the texture was fine, there was a bit of a weird aftertaste to it and I don't feel that it was strong enough in espresso flavor. John said it was okay but he wouldn' t get it again. I decided to go with that sampling I had tried. The flavor was called soursop. The lady behind the counter told me it was a Caribbean fruit with a very familiar taste. She was right. I can't identify exactly what the taste of soursop resembles except that it's a light tropical taste. Although I enjoyed the taste, the consistency of the ice cream was much much more icy than the chocolate peanut butter Bryan and Bob got and made it a bit difficult to eat. There are not many traditional flavors for the ice creams at Wheeler's but perhaps that's to be expected from a non-traditional ice cream shop?

I'm happy we went to Wheeler's to try it out. If you are allergic to dairy or lactose intolerant and miss ice cream, Wheeler's might be a good option for you. However, if you have a hankering for ice cream, Wheeler's probably will not satisfy your craving. Like I said, I'm glad I went (and got to try a new exotic fruit) I don't think I'll go back anytime soon.

Wheeler's Frozen Desserts on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment