Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Red Fez Redux


Last night, for Tim's birthday, a gaggle of us went to Red Fez. Based on Jeff's posting from last month, I had to try the Muhammara as an appetizer. Rachel Ray would say "Yumm-o!;" but, I think that's annoying, so suffice it to say that it's delicious! Peter liked it too as did the others sitting close-by. I don't know why I've never heard of muhammara before, but I'm sure glad I have now. Thanks, Jeff!

For dinner, I had the Red Fez Lamb. Yes, I know that's what Jeff had too, but I couldn't resist. It looked too enticing on the menu, and given his excitement about it in the aforementioned posting, I ordered it. Boy, am I glad I did. It was fantastic! (Since beginning this blog, I don't seem to have many negative things to say about the food I've had--not that I'm complaining about that--but I just want you readers to be aware that I'm aware of that so you won't just think I say everything is delicious! Anyway...) The lamb was cooked as I ordered it: medium-rare, and it was very tender. It was wrapped in fried (but not breaded) eggplant and served with two sauces: one a tomato-based "Neapolitan", the other a yoghurt-based garlic sauce. The accompanying couscous with spices, onions, and peppers was good enough to have by itself. Yumm-o!!  Ahem...I mean, it was perfect.

While I enjoyed my meal very much, the people who got kebab didn't seem as enthusiastic as I was about my meal. They liked it fine, but for the price tag, I'd expect a little more excitement from them. The portions are definitely big, but let's just say that if you are at the Red Fez, save your craving for kebab for your next visit to Shawarma King, etc., and try something else.

Our server was very nice, and she (and the young gentleman that helped her) handled a large group very well. They were very accommodating, and when--upon entering the room with the birthday cake (candle lit and all)--they realized that the birthday boy had excused himself momentarily, they furtively rushed back to the kitchen only to return later just like nothing had happened. It was very cute. (And where did that celebratory bottle of champagne come from?!)

The décor is fun. I don't feel like I'm in Morocco or anything, but I get it.

To reiterate what Jeff said, they have live music on Friday and Saturday nights, and I would like to experience that...

Oh! I almost forgot to mention my beer. I'd never had Almaza before until last night. I really enjoyed it. It was a nice, refreshing pilsner-style beer from Lebanon. (I might have had 2!) I wonder if they sell Almaza at my local emporium.


Red Fez on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment