Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Super Quick and Easy Toffee Bars!


After making myself an egg scramble yesterday, I had a leftover egg yolk ( I pretended to be healthier and used only one yolk) that I just couldn't throw out. I paged through some cookbooks we had in the apartment, and there was my answer from none other than Betty Crocker, herself - Toffee Bars! Using only a few simple ingredients this delectable dessert is ready in under an hour.

Here's what you need...

2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts


Simply mix the sugar, butter/margarine, egg yolk, and vanilla together, then add the flour and salt. Once good and mixed, press into a 9x13 ungreased baking pan. Stick it in the oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes until slightly browned. Dump on the chocolate chips, let them melt a bit, then use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate over the entire pan. Sprinkle your nuts on top ( I also toasted them beforehand), and let everything cool a bit before trying!

My only complaint is in the name, since I don't think I'd use the name 'toffee' to describe them. Nonetheless, Betty knows best!

No comments:

Post a Comment