Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Aquitaine French Bistro




For our one year anniversary Christopher and I decided to treat ourselves to a good French meal, choosing the South End's Aquitaine as our place to dine. Neither of us had been before, so of course it was very exciting to try something new together.

First walking in the place looked adorable - quite cozy but not overly cramped by any means. we were seated immediately at a table for two in the back. I had a hard time deciding on a cocktail to start out with, so when Christopher ordered his French Manhattan I was still undecided. Finally I chose a Sidecar, which I had never had before. shortly my sugar-rimmed glass arrived and it was quite delicious. While i am not a fan of cognac-type liqueur by itself, my drink was delicious and light and refreshing, perfectly chilled.

For starters there was no question in my choosing the Chicken Liver Mousse Terrine with Cornichons, Whole Grain Mustard & Warm Levain. He decided on the Frisée et Lardons Salade with Chèvre & Croutons Grand-mère & Champagne Shallot Vinaigrette. Being perfectly honest, I wasn't in love with my chicken liver mousse. While the flavors were very nice, I found it quite salty and had trouble finishing all of it. I nonethless somehow managed ;-) The warm levain was delicious as was the whole grain mustard. I didn't try the salad but he said it was very good.

For dinner I chose the Lamb Provençal with a sort of ratatouille with artichokes and Rosemary Jus Lie. It cooked nicely and a good portion, but nothing to rant and rave about. The lamb could have had a little more flavor, but the ratatouille was quite nice. Christopher had the Filet au Poivre with Cognac Cream, Grilled Scallions, Green Peppercorns & Pommes Au Gratin. While he had it cooked too much for my liking, the pepper crust was phenomenal. I may have to get that the next time we dine there. We had wine to accompany our meal, but were far too full, not to mention bankrupt, at the end of the evening.

Overall I was definitely pleased with my meal, but I think it was a bit too expensive for me to not have thoroughly enjoyed everything.


Aquitaine on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Filet of Beef au poivre with pommes au gratin is my favourite French specialty. You should try Boeuf Bourguignon with sliced potatoes and carrots. Delicious ! Top quality French food is pricey anyway...
    Cathy
    French Course

    ReplyDelete