Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Oven-toasted flatbread sandwiches at Dunkin Donuts? Oh my!



Being a foodie centers around one thing - food - so why let a fine establishment like Dunkin Donuts remain outside the foodie domain?

As I frequent Dunkin Donuts a few times a week for my morning or afternoon iced coffee fix, I've begun to accumulate coupons from their 'Bases Loaded' campaign that offers savings and game codes on a little sticky that you peel off of the cup. The first one I got entitled me to one free oven-toasted flatbread sandwich with no additional purchase necessary, and today was the day I put it into use.

My choices were between 4 sandwiches - ham & swiss; turkey, cheddar, and bacon; 3-cheese; or Southwest chicken. Since the southwest chicken was a new promotion and also the most expensive at $3.99, I figured I'd give that one a try and get the best deal.

About a minute after placing my order I had a grilled chicken "filet" topped with cheddar cheese, grilled peppers and onions and a maple-chipotle sauce sandwiched between two pieces of flatbread. It smelled very good from the start, and I was rather excited to take the first bite of my free lunch.

Looking inside of my flatbread the chicken patty/filet/whatever looked a bit unnatural, but I trusted Dunkin Donuts to make it taste good, and, indeed, it did. I very much enjoyed the maple-chipotle sauce, which added a nice sweet and tangy flavor to every bite. There weren't too many onoins and peppers, but I wouldn't say it was overly lacking. As to the flatbread, it wasn't overly delicious, but there was definitely nothing wrong with it. Perhaps had I not waited until getting home to eat it the flatbread would have been more crispy or something. Portion-wise I was pleasantly surprised, though that's not to say I couldn't have inhaled 4 of them.

Overally I was definitely pleased with my free lunch. Though tasty, I'm not sure if I would spend $3.99 to try it again. Good thing I have a $1 off coupon for my next one!





Donuts Dunkin on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment